Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rockland Taxes

I'm trying to figure out the political structure in our new land. We live in Rockland County. However, I'm not sure what Rockland County does for us. Most of the stuff comes from Clarkstown, our town. So on Friday, I called the tax assessor, Cathy Conklin who was very patient with me as she explained the process. Her office follows state rules to assess properties. These assessments where done in 1985. Your assessment is always the same and as the taxes go up it is a relative value to the assessment number.

So I'm compiling a spreadsheet with addresses, assessment numbers and tax rates. I'm then getting a percentage by dividing the taxes by the assessment number. Behold - the percentages so far after doing 20 addresses range between 7.3% and 14.4%. I hate to bother Cathy again. But something is wrong.

I have to check with her to find out if the data I'm using from is correct.

No comments: