Sunday, May 2, 2010

Census as A Business Case

The US census business model is brilliant. But even more important it works. Over a year ago people took a test to qualify. The test was not difficult. However, it was time consuming. There was one manager question on the test (the question I got wrong). They call you a few days later with your score.
A year later they call the highest scorers with the correct answer to the manager question first to determine if he/she still want a trainer job - Crew Leader. For 2 weeks they go through Crew Leader Training. They then call the rest of the job pool for to serve as enumerators to for the $18/hour job for 4-8 weeks. The Crew Leaders work in pairs. Each one is responsible for an area. They train all the Enumerators together. It takes 4 days of training to cover everything from how to fill out your time sheet to what to say to people who refuse to answer the questions. At the end of the training the Crew Leaders select Crew Leader assistants and assign them enumerators to supervise. My supervisor is Susan. I would have picked her to be a Crew Leader assistant. It's funny that they didn't pick the detail-oriented enumerators - but the ones who are friendly and personable.
I'm amazed at is the quality of the people working to collect census data. Some have children in school and other PT jobs. Others are retired and need extra income. But in all cases they are pretty smart. They are the ones I would have been friends with in school.
The training can be done much more effectively and efficiently. And somehow this system works.
Local Census Office - Ass't Manager for field operations - Field operation supervisors - Crew Leader - Assistant Crew Leader - Enumerators.
It's 4 weeks from the crew leader call to knocking on doors across a district. Pretty amazing.

The only thing I'm wondering about is why if I live in Valley Cottage is my area of Valley Cottage not included in the Valley Cottage/Congers group. They pulled the entire West Hook mountain area and moved it to another area. We have the same zip as the rest of VC - so why aren't we included? And who are we included with? And why wasn't I selected to be an enumerator with that group?
I'm not sure I will ever get to the bottom of this. When my assignment is over I will find out from the LCO.

Other Facts
75% of Clarkstown residents filled out their census forms. So we don't have much work to do.
If you don't produce enough completed forms - you will be let go.

I love this business case model. It works! I want to do the e-learning on it in 10 years.

No comments: