Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cup of Tea Economic Theory with Honey

At first I thought that Cutie was a genius. She was writing her name at 3. At 3-1/2 she can write all the letters. It turns out that most, maybe all can write their names. But there's a difference with the children in her class and children going to other schools. I'm finding out that most schools don't teach writing in a 3s program. I remember learning that on the 3yo birthday you are required to teach the letters and give your child a taste of honey -so they will know that learning is sweet. Some schools missed the memo.

I remember in India I was travelling alone in second class on the train. I was sitting next to about 9 men. We were scoping out each other and my heart was beating fast. Finally one of them broke the ice.
"Are you Christian?"
"No, I'm Jewish (I thought if I'm going down - let it be as a Jew.)"
Every question and response was followed by a translation to the rest of the guys in the local language.
"Where are you from?"
"USA - New York City"
"The Jews are very rich"
"If I was rich would I be travelling second class on the train"
Translation - Laughter.
The Jews in India are rich.
"Only some Jews are rich and some Indians are rich
"It may appear that Jews are rich because they know how to read and write. If you can read and write you will have a good job. When a Jewish child is 3 they are given a book and a taste of honey and are told learning is sweet. All Jews are not rich - they just know how to read and write."
"How much do you make?"
"What I make may seem like a lot to you once you convert into rupees. But the average salary in America is $12/hr (it was in the early 90's and that was what I was making after taxes). It costs $1 to buy a cup of coffee. It takes 5mins to make $1. In India a good job you make 60 rupees. It costs 5 rupees for a cup of chai. It's the same. "
Translation and an epiphany sigh from the group.

From that moment on, I felt safe on the train. This is now known as my "cup of coffee/tea" economic theory. When I travel Ijust translate everything into the number of cups of coffees it would cost back home and figure out how many cups it should cost in the country I'm visiting. The euro is killing us.

No comments: