Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Writers with Books




Two friends have come out with books over the past months.
Julie Klappas with "If You Give A Mom a Martini" a gift book for a mom who just had a 3rd child and Margot Berwin with "Hothouse Flower & the 9 Plants of Desire". I just started reading Margot's book. Already translated into 13 languages and I see a movie in her future. I love the way she writes and I'm envious. It's as if I know her characters. Everyone has stories but few can write with such clarity.

At 8 months pregnant, I used to run up to her office when I needed a break from work. I remember her talking about her surfboard friend. I remember her talking about her marriage. I remember her apartment. I remember her looking for a place to write.

When Cutie was a few months old, Margot brought over "Water Water, Everywhere" and gave her a bottle.


And we saw Margot for the last time about a year later. I tried tracking her down a few times, but I guess she was doing important work. I was just moving to the burbs and starting a new life, sometimes yearning for the old.


Since I'm off to Fire Island this weekend, I will save the rest of the book for the train trip.
More to come.






No comments: