Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Market

So things are really bad in stockmarketland. The subprime mortgage crisis is worse than people realize.
I'm looking for a job close to home. I spoke with someone who wanted references. I emailed old work buddies. That's always fun because you get to talk about the old times together and discuss the latest.

I found this interesting. Someone told me that a major client of theirs went bellyup and haven't paid their bills. They had to call American Express Small Business and work out a payment plan. While on the phone, Amex mentioned that they are getting over a hundred calls a day with this sort of request. Six months ago it was two per day.
It's funny Enron was working on a new business that allowed you to hedge against your clients going bankrupt. This was in early 2001 before their fall from grace. This idea came to someone at Enron right before the recession of 2001. We all know what happened to Enron. We all know what happened to the economy.

It took 2 years for the economy to hit a bottom (2003) the QQQQ (formally QQQ) was around $100 in 2001,
$40 on 3/30/01,
$24 on 2/7/03,
$41 on 11/05,
$55 11/30/07
$42 today. I think it's going to $38. But I'm not ready to put money on it with the MSFT YHOO deal. But just in case, I sold some of the shares I purchased in o3 around $40.

No comments: